Old Midgard table lamp with patina and enameled shade
The design of this vintage hinged double-jointed lamp was developed by Curt Fischer, who worked on the idea of the ‘steerable light’ from approx. 1920 on. Even before the well known designs by Christian Dell or Marianne Brandt, Curt Fischer realized the idea of the so-called ‘steerable light’ with the all-round movable work lamp. The metal workshop at the Weimar Bauhaus was lit with Midgard lights, serving as an example to Bauhaus students, and was used later in Ilse and Walter Gropius’ master house livingroom at the Dessau Bauhaus.
After the thorough dismantling cleaning
of all elements, the lamp was clear coated and rebuilt again.
The lamp has signs of wear consistent with its age and use.
It has a noteworthy patina.
The lamp is in good overall condition appart from some scratches.
The lamp is engraved with Midgard on the joint.
The mechanical system of the lamp functions fine.
The joints are held by two screws.
The electrical equipment was renewed and refurbished with a three-wire system and a black cloth coated cord was used.
The light is operated by a rotary switch located on the bakelite lamp socket.
The lamp can be easily attached to the table or the wall with the table-mount bracket and screws.
Please refer to the photos for more details.
1. Articulated arm approx. 37cm
2. Articulated arm approx. 49cm
Shade diameter 13 cm
E27 socket with bakelite rotary switches
Cable length approx. 195 cm
Manufactured in AUMA in Thuringia