Big Midgard R2 jointed lamp in original condition with wall holder
The design of this vintage articulated double-jointed lamp was developed by Curt Fischer, who worked on the idea of the ‘steerable light’ from approx. 1920 on. Even before the well known designs by Christian Dell or Marianne Brandt, Curt Fischer realized the idea of the so-called ‘steerable light’ with the all-round movable work lamp. The metal workshop at the Weimar Bauhaus was lighted up with Midgard lights, serving as an example to Bauhaus students, and was also later in Ilse and Walter Gropius’ master house living room at the Dessau Bauhaus.
After the thorough dismantling, cleaning of all elements, the lamp was tested and rebuilt again.
The lamp has signs of wear consistent with its age and use.
It has a noteworthy patina.
The lamp is in good overall condition appart from some scratches.
The paint shows some tiny losses on some parts.
The mechanical system of the lamp functions fine.
The joints are held by one screw.
The electrical equipment was renewed and refurbished with a three-wire system and a black cloth coated cord was used.
The electrical equipment was checked.
The light is operated by a rotary switch located on the bakelite lamp socket.
The lamp can be easily attached to the wall with the wall-mount bracket and screws.
Please refer to the photos for more details.
1. Articulated arm approx. 55cm
2. Articulated arm approx. 38cm
Shade diameter approx. 18cm
Bakelite socket E27 with rotary switch
Cable length approx. 160 cm
Manufactured in AUMA in Thuringia