Midgard R2 big jointed lamp with clamping foot
The design of this vintage hinged double-jointed lamp was developed by Curt Fischer, who worked on the idea of the ‘steerable light’ from approx. 1920 on. Even before the well known designs by Christian Dell or Marianne Brandt, Curt Fischer realized the idea of the so-called ‘steerable light’ with the all-round movable work lamp. The metal workshop at the Weimar Bauhaus was lit with Midgard lights, serving as an example to Bauhaus students, and was used later in Ilse and Walter Gropius’ master house livingroom at the Dessau Bauhaus.
After the thorough dismantling cleaning rust removal
of all elements, the lamp was polished brushed varnished painted
clear coated and rebuilt again.
The lamp has a few signs of wear consistent with its age and use.
The interior of the shade is flawless.
The lamp is marked with Midgard R2 on the shade.
The mechanical system of the lamp functions fine.
The electrical equipment was checked.
The light is operated by a rotary switch located on the original bakelite lamp socket.
The lampbase can be screwed on the table surface/table top.
Please refer to the photos for more details.
total length approx. 90cm
1. arm approx. 36cm
2. arm approx. 36cm
Shade diameter approx. 16cm
E27 bulb socket
white cord switch
Cable length approx. 110 cm
Manufactured in AUMA in Thuringia