old very rare Midgard table lamp with enameled shade.
The design of this vintage hinged double-jointed lamp was developed by Curt Fischer, who worked on the idea of the ‘steerable light’ from approx. 1920 on. Even before the well known designs by Christian Dell or Marianne Brandt, Curt Fischer realized the idea of the so-called ‘steerable light’ with the all-round movable work lamp. The metal workshop at the Weimar Bauhaus was lit with Midgard lights, serving as an example to Bauhaus students, and was used later in Ilse and Walter Gropius’ master house livingroom at the Dessau Bauhaus.
After the thorough dismantling cleaning rust removal
of all elements, the lamp was polished brushed clear coated and rebuilt again.
The lamp has signs of wear consistent with its age and use.
It has a noteworthy patina.
It has been polished to give it a steel look.
The lamp is in very good overall condition. It is marked with Midgard and DRGM (before the war).
The mechanical system of the lamp functions perfectly.
The electrical equipment was renewed and refurbished with a three-wire system and a black cloth coated cord was used.
The light is operated by a rotary switch located on the brass lamp socket.
The lamp can be screwed to the table with the original table mounting and screws, or at the wall (the 1st hinge doesn’t go further than 90°)
Please refer to the photos for more details.
1.arm approx 30xm
2.arm approx 48cm
shade diameter 13cm
Bulb socket E27 with rotary switch
Cable length approx. 225 cm