Old big Midgard table lamp in steel look with enamel shade
The design of this vintage hinged double-jointed lamp was developed by Curt Fischer, who worked on the idea of the ‘steerable light’ from approx. 1920 on. Even before the well known designs by Christian Dell or Marianne Brandt, Curt Fischer realized the idea of the so-called ‘steerable light’ with the all-round movable work lamp. The metal workshop at the Weimar Bauhaus was lit with Midgard lights, serving as an example to Bauhaus students, and was used later in Ilse and Walter Gropius’ master house livingroom at the Dessau Bauhaus.
After the thorough dismantling cleaning rust removal
of all elements, the lamp was polished brushed varnished and rebuilt again.
The lamp has signs of wear consistent with its age and use.
It has a noteworthy patina. The coating of the enameled shade shows some losses on some parts.
It has been polished to give it a steel look.
The lamp is in good overall condition appart from some scratches.
The lamp is engraved with Midgard on the head and the base.
The mechanical system of the lamp functions perfectly.
The electrical equipment was renewed and refurbished with a three-wire system and a black cloth coated cord was used.
The light is operated by a rotary switch located on the bulb socket.
The lampbase can be screwed on the table surface/table top or the wall. There is the possibility to get a clamping foot.
Please refer to the photos for more details.
1. Articulated arm approx. 39cm
2. Articulated arm approx. 57cm
Shade diameter approx. 16,5cm
Cable length approx. 200 cm
Manufactured in AUMA in Thuringia