Midgard old rare jointed lamp with “crown”
The design of this special hinged double-jointed lamp was developed by Curt Fischer, who worked on the idea of the ‘steerable light’ from approx. 1920 on. Even before the well known designs by Christian Dell or Marianne Brandt, Curt Fischer realized the idea of the so-called ‘steerable light’ with the all-round movable work lamp. The metal workshop at the Weimar Bauhaus was lit with Midgard lights, serving as an example to Bauhaus students, and was used later in Ilse and Walter Gropius’ master house livingroom at the Dessau Bauhaus.
After the thorough dismantling cleaning rust removal
of all elements, the lamp was painted and rebuilt again.
The lamp has signs of wear consistent with its age and use.
The lamp is in good overall condition appart from some scratches.
The enameled shade has slightly signs of wear. A broken arm has been replaced.
The mechanical system of the lamp functions very fine. The lamp is marked with ‘Midgard’ on the hinge.
The electrical equipment was renewed and refurbished with a three-wire system and a burgundy cloth coated cord was used.
The light is operated by a switch located on the cord.
The lamp can be easily attached to the table or the wall with the mount bracket and screws.
Please refer to the photos for more details.
Shade diameter 13 cm
1. Arm 39 cm
2. Arm 46 cm
Cable length 250 cm