Pair of Midgard old odd reading lamps
The design of these vintage hinged double-jointed lamps was developed by Curt Fischer, who worked on the idea of the ‘steerable light’ from approx. 1920 on. Even before the well known designs by Christian Dell or Marianne Brandt, Curt Fischer realized the idea of the so-called ‘steerable light’ with the all-round movable work lamp. The metal workshop at the Weimar Bauhaus was lit with Midgard lights, serving as an example to Bauhaus students, and was used later in Ilse and Walter Gropius’ master house livingroom at the Dessau Bauhaus.
After the thorough dismantling cleaning rust removal
of all elements, the lamps were polished brushed clear coated and rebuilt again.
The lamps have signs of wear consistent with its age and use.
They have a noteworthy patina.
They have been polished to give it a steel look.
The lamps are in very good overall condition and is marked with ‘Midgard’ at the base. They have been manufactured before the 2.WW.
The mechanical system of the lamps functions perfectly.
The electrical equipment was renewed and refurbished with a three-wire system and a black cloth coated cord was used.
The light is operated by a switch located on the bakelit lamp socket.
The lamps can be easily attached to the wall with the non original wall mounting and screws.
Please refer to the photos for more details.
1. Arm ca. 18cm
2. Arm 40cm
Shade wide ca. 15-18cm
cable length ca. 190 cm