Jointed lamp in original condition with blue hammertone paint and wide shade.
The design of this vintage hinged double-jointed lamp was developed by Curt Fischer, who worked on the idea of the ‘steerable light’ from approx. 1920 on. Even before the well known designs by Christian Dell or Marianne Brandt, Curt Fischer realized the idea of the so-called ‘steerable light’ with the all-round movable work lamp. The metal workshop at the Weimar Bauhaus was lit with Midgard lights, serving as an example to Bauhaus students, and was used later in Ilse and Walter Gropius’ master house livingroom at the Dessau Bauhaus.
After the thorough dismantling of all elements, the lamp was cleaned and rebuilt again.
The lamp has signs of wear consistent with its age and use.
The lamp is in good overall condition appart from some scratches.
The lamp is engraved with Midgard DDRP on the shade and the joints.
The mechanical system of the lamp functions perfectly.
The joints are held by two screws.
The electrical equipment was renewed and refurbished with a three-wire system and a black cloth coated cord was used.
The light is operated by a rotary switch located on the original bakelite lamp socket.
The lamp can be easily attached to the wall with the wall-mount bracket and screws.
Please refer to the photos for more details.
1. arm approx. 31cm
2. arm approx. 45cm
Shade diameter approx. 22cm
E27 bulb socket with original bakelite rotary switch
Cable length approx. 300 cm