Midgard big hinged lamp with grey hammertone shade
The design of this vintage hinged double-jointed lamp was developed by Curt Fischer, who worked on the idea of the ‘steerable light’ from approx. 1920 on. Even before the well known designs by Christian Dell or Marianne Brandt, Curt Fischer realized the idea of the so-called ‘steerable light’ with the all-round movable work lamp. The metal workshop at the Weimar Bauhaus was lit with Midgard lights, serving as an example to Bauhaus students, and was used later in Ilse and Walter Gropius’ master house livingroom at the Dessau Bauhaus.
After the thorough dismantling cleaning rust removal
of all elements, the lamp was polished brushed clear coated and rebuilt again.
The lamp has signs of wear consistent with its age and use.
It has a noteworthy patina.
It has been polished to give it a steel look.
The lamp is in good overall condition.
The mechanical system of the lamp functions perfectly.
The joints are held by two screws.
The rare shade with grey hammertone paint has time marks. It is slightly displaced and has no longer has its rotability.
The electrical equipment was renewed and refurbished with a three-wire system and a black cloth coated cord was used.
The light is operated by a rotary switch located on the brass lamp socket.
The lamp can be easily attached to the table or the wall with the original wall mounting and screws.
Please refer to the photos for more details.
1. Arm ca. 40cm
2. Arm ca. 57cm
Shade diameter ca. 15cm
Bulb E27 mit rotary switch
Cable length ca. 270cm
Manufactured in Auma in Thüringen